Wednesday, August 6, 2014

The truth about the way I eat

Decided to go on a bit of a rant...curse words ahead. Be warned if you are offended. Have some thoughts to get off my brain....

Some folks ask about the Paleo eating style...it works for me since my body hates gluten, corn, soy and diary. Gluten gives me stomach pains that cause me to double over and cry...followed by unpleasant trips to the toilet. Corn gives me stomach pains, gas, bloat and a mouth rash (WTF!!). Soy makes me look like I'm sunburned and dairy also causes the same as corn minus the mouth rash. Do any of these things sound like fun to you? Yeah, me either. Thus the reason I just avoid them. Sure, sometimes I'd LOVE to walk into a bakery and order whatever I want to but it doesn't work that way for me so I deal. I try not to make a big deal of it when I'm standing in a real Italian bakery smelling the Focaccia and drooling all over the glass case. Inside I'm yelling "WHAT THE FUCK? I WANT SOME BREAD BITCHES!!" but outside I smile and shrug it off. I know some folks think the whole gluten free thing is for show or is a fad but if you truly can't tolerate it, you know where I'm coming from. It's just not worth the pain. I have dealt with stomach crap since my 20s...my poor hubby spent years baffled at why I'd get the runs after almost every meal out...when we finally cut all the triggers out it was amazing how much better I felt. It works for MY body...not for everybody. If your body can handle the food then there is zero reason to cut it out of your diet. Again I'll mention it's modified Paleo as I DO eat peanut butter (try to take it away and I WILL cut your ass), gluten free oats, rice and brown rice grits on occasion. My body likes these things and I ain't cutting them out!

Diet....I fucking hate that word and everything it implies When I say diet I mean the foods I eat...when most people say diet they mean eating like a rabbit and eating less than a bed bound adult. People often ask how I lost my weight. I did it by tracking my food consumed, eating ENOUGH and moving my body. Period. I NEVER fell into the 1200 calorie a day crap. I loathe being hungry and quite frankly am pure evil when I get too hungry (hangry..that's my fave word). I eat to fuel my workouts. I eat based around what workouts I'm doing and what my goals are. Yes, it's work. Yes, I spend time planning my meals. No, I don't think it's obsessive or pointless. When I go into my kitchen with a game plan (meals for the week are posted on my fridge) I find that I am more productive. It works for ME...not for everyone. I truthfully prefer my home cooked meals to almost any restaurant food. When I was heavier, Hubby and I would go to places like Outback at least once a week. We'd have a cocktail, appetizer, meal and split dessert. We'd easily consume a days worth of calories in ONE meal with NO activity in our lives. Insane...and no wonder we were both 50 lbs heavier! Gotta have some activity..even if it's just walking for 30 minutes a day. We did nothing but walk from our car (parked in the space closest to the building of course) to our table and back out again. Then we'd go home and park our overstuffed, too full to do anything asses in front of the TV for hours at a time. We'd stay up too late in our zombie TV state and get crap sleep. The next morning we'd start the cycle over again...crap food, no exercise and too much TV. So different from our lives now...I'm happy about that! I see so many people failing in their attempts to lose weight because they are going about it the wrong way. They are under eating, cutting out all carbs (carbs are NOT the enemy!), going fat free (natural fats are your friends!), exercising a zillion times a day to burn more calories, doing some crazy juice cleanse or eating whatever other crazy QUICK weight loss food science shit they sell at Walmart. It's not sustainable, it's not realistic to lose 10 lbs in a freaking month. Those ways of doing it will fail more often than not and they'll regain what they lost PLUS some. Vicious cycle y'all! Do research. Track your food intake for even a week. Find an online calculator that gives you a REAL baseline for what you should be eating based on your activity level. If you use my fitness pal (which I love and have been a member of for over 2 years now) do NOT go by the 1200 a day basic calories it gives you. Too low. Learn to eat the RIGHT foods for your body. Move your body every day in some sort of way. It's not a miracle drug. It's not a FAST method but you will do it the right way...the sane way.

That's all I got for tonight. More Whole 30 updates tomorrow. Trying to decide if tomorrow I rest or tomorrow I workout. Gonna sleep in (please sleep gods, let me sleep) and let my body decide in the morning. I'm rolling all flexible like that right now as I strive for balance..ahhh balance..again, more on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment