Monday, August 25, 2014

Mommy Mighty Mouse Runs For JDRF

My fundraising  is in honor of our buddy Blake. He was diagnosed with Juvenile Diabetes just last year. Please take the time to read his story here-
http://roseiswriting.blogspot.com/2013/08/life-changer.html 

We are so very blessed to call him a friend and are even more blessed that he's still with us. I remember when his Mom sent me a text notifying me that he was in the hospital. I was hiking with my family. I found a quiet place to process everything she was telling me and as I watched my healthy, happy son jump around on the rocks tears started to flow. As a parent, I couldn't imagine how scared my dear friend was. I couldn't fathom the emotions her family was experiencing. All I could do was sit, cry and offer up hopes of healing and answers for them all.

Blake is an AMAZING kid. He is kind, compassionate, patient, bright and is my son's "Brother From Another Mother". He handles this disease with a strength that, even as a grown woman, I don't think I could ever possess! He's currently fitted with an insulin pump that keeps him from having to jab himself a zillion times a day to check his blood or give himself shots. It's because of research money and donations that medical advancements like this pump exist!

Obligatory "bro" photo of Blake and my son at C's party last year--



Here's our group pic from last year's One Walk in Oakland. I remember commenting when we arrived at how the snack table looked like one from race's I've run with all the carb loaded foods. Rose gently and quietly explained to me that for a lot of the kid's with T1 just a WALK around the Oakland Zoo was like running a race for the rest of us. It floored me and made me pretty quiet for the rest of the day (and that doesn't happen often). I spent a lot of the walk in contemplation over just how severe the effects of this disease were on the kids who have it AND the impact it had on their day to day activities.


I said a year plus ago that I was done with running distance after being hit with too many pains/issues from the long runs BUT I've decided that if so many kids can suffer with dignity daily as they battle diabetes then I can most certainly buck it up and go through training again! I will run for those who can't and I will do it with a smile on my face and love in my heart! 


I'm running the Race To The Flagpole half marathon on November 8th in hopes of raising funds for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.  JDRF is the only global organization with a strategic plan to progressively remove the impact of Type 1 Diabetes from people's lives until it is no longer a threat to anyone.

I'm hoping most of you will contribute a dollar per mile that I'll be running...a mere $13.10 each. This is such a small amount to ask. It's basically the cost of  2 meals at a fast food place! Your money will go to an amazing cause and will help SO many kids! Please donate even a few dollars if you can't contribute the $13.10! With your help we can continue finding ways to battle this disease that affects so many children today!

Donate to our team Blake's Buddies here--
http://www2.jdrf.org/site/TR?fr_id=3882&pg=personal&px=8476668

If you prefer, you can mail a check directly to JDRF at 950 Fulton Ave, Suite 150, Sacramento, CA 95825. Just make sure you include a note saying the donation is for Blake's Buddies, Lisa Brown.

Thank you friends and family, from the bottom of my heart. I promise to make you all proud. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment