Tuesday, August 26, 2014

The Abominable Abdominal Truth

I woke up this morning wiped the hell out. It's a lady cycle thing...some of y'all know what I'm talking about. If you don't then you are lucky and I hate you. I'd planned on hitting my old gym to lift but truthfully I was feeling so puny that I knew I'd only piss myself off SO I decided to workout at home. We have an extra bedroom that's the "home gym". It's a work in progress. I do have some dumbbells, kettle bells, medicine balls and such so I can give myself a nice butt kicking when needed. I'd thrown on a t-shirt to walk the kid to school so as soon as I walked in my spare room, I chucked it. I HATE sleeves when I'm working out.

Now, I need to tell y'all something important here, I don't do no shirt/bare belly. My stomach is the part of my body I hate the most. BUT I was feeling inspired to try something new and frankly was too lazy to go get a tank top. As soon as I started with my goblet squats and I looked in the mirror my eyes went straight to my rolls (yes, squats and rolls...NOT pretty!) and I went into panic mode. I stopped, took a few deep breaths, told myself to STFU and got my head straight. I stopped focusing on what I didn't like and started focusing on form. Then I started seeing things I DID like.

After that I got comfortable. So comfortable that I took a photo to share my abominable abdominal truth with you....this is me. This morning...post workout.



I'm not ripped, I'm a bit squishy in the middle...that's ok. I have a husband who loves every single inch of me and always has, even when there was an extra 40 pounds of mush there. I'm fortunate. I carried a GIANT baby in my belly and was cut open to get him out when my body wasn't capable of birthing him. I am strong, I am fast and I am capable.

I remember being at a girl's day out event a couple of months ago. My tall, gorgeous, slim friend "A" made a comment about her stomach and then commented on how "it's not as flat as Lisa's" and I was like "ummmmm...clearly you have never seen my stomach". I keep it hidden (the glaringly pale color which has probably already partially blinded you shows this as truth) for a reason. It's my "dirty little secret". I'm fit and I have some belly fat. **shrugs** Doesn't mean that I can't do the things I want to do in any less of a beastly fashion. Just means I don't have a 6 pack. I don't know that I ever will. I don't want to get that particular about my eating again. For me, that's borderline obsessive and I've worked had to get out of that pattern. I dunno why I was inspired to share today. I just was. Enjoy. Live your life, do your thing and make the most of what you've got! :)

5 comments:

  1. I think we are our worst critics and often see flaws that no one else sees. When I cosplayed in May and had my stomach exposed I felt like everyone was staring at me because a stomach that flabby and large shouldn't be shown in public. I would see other women and would wish my stomach looked like that but friends would say that their stomached looked a lot worse than mine or that mine was just as flat, etc. It's hard to see ourselves in a positive light.

    Your stomach looks amazing though.

    -Steph (TheStephil)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Steph and it's SO very true. We always are our own worse critics. Rhett told me a few minutes ago that he thinks I look great in this photo and to be nice to myself. I told him that was the whole point of the post!! LOL!. I realize in the photo above you can't see what I was seeing when everything was being moved and worked. No way in the world I was posting a photo of that though in hindsight I should have! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you look awesome! I know I will never have that 6-pack. I love food and life too much and can't be that regimented. Do I wish I have that lean, hard body? There are times I do. But I do appreciate the feminine curves over the "not-so-defined muscles" that I do have. :-) I'm healthy and fit. With that said, I still could lose about 4% body fat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bernadette you look fantastic and you kick ass on your workouts. If you starved yourself for a certain look, you'd probably see diminished abilities. Pretty sure you and I are both in the "thanks but no thanks" camp on that one? ;)

      Delete
    2. We are def on the same camp. I have 25% body fat (at least according to my Aria scale) so I can afford to lose 4, but that's about as low as I'll go. Trying to work on a bit more muscle to eliminate some of the jiggle. Lol!

      Delete