Saturday, August 30, 2014

5K Race Recap

Woke up at 550 am, grabbed a quick shower (just got my hair cut off again yesterday and it was itchy...I don't normally shower before a race), ate some leftover roasted chicken with sweet potato and drank a small glass of OJ. Got my fellas up, packed their breakfasts for on the go, got my race gear together and was out the door. Race started at 745 am. We got there around 710. I had plenty of time to walk around, stretch out my right quad which was being a jerk and get my head in the race. Also ate a Medjool date right after we arrived to perk me up a little. Our run started on time and I started at the front. That's me in the gray and green pants. ;)




Started out like a bat out of Hell as usual. I chose NOT to use my Runkeeper app or my heartrate monitor as I wanted to just run without any pressure. As I ran I felt myself starting to get a bit slower and slower right off the bat. Not a good sign at all. I was happy to see that only one other female passed me. Turns out she was running the 10K which started at the same time. I crossed the finish line with an official time of 23:43. I was bummed that I missed my PR. I think if I'd run with my pace app I'd have known to push a bit harder. Just 20 seconds a mile would have made me successful. It's all good though. Turns out I was the FIRST female finisher. I came across 5th out of everyone running.  I won 1st in my age group. Sadly they didn't give overall top male and female awards but oh well. I know what I accomplished. My son was super duper proud as was hubby so it's all good.



We hung out for a while so the kid could play at the park and get his face painted. I enjoyed a muffin with almond butter and some coconut water as my post run snack. Also shoved an orange down right after I crossed the finish line. ;)


After they announced the winners and I got my certificate we headed out to get some MUCH needed coffee and hit the farmers market. Perfect way to cap off a good day.

All in all I had a great run and would attend another event put on by these guys. I think next race needs to be a 10k. My half is in November so I can think of it as a training run. ;)


Pros and Cons for this particular race--

Pros--
Started on time
Well organized
Tons of food for finishers..not me sadly but the kid ate my share (muffins, bagels, ice cream, fruit)
Finisher medals for everyone
Run for a great cause http://courageworldwide.org/couragerun/about/
Lots of bathrooms
Well marked course with lots of volunteers and cheering people


Cons--
NO COFFEE! Ack!!
Top finishers got a printed out certificate instead of a medal...that means STILL no 1st place medal for my wall.
No swag bag....just a shirt and a bib at the packet pick up











No comments:

Post a Comment