Friday, August 8, 2014

The Gym Game Plan

I've been focusing on lifting as heavy as possible, basically a strength phase if you will, for a LONG time now. Too long for one phase I think. I've put my running on the back burner because I'm a very hard gainer (muscle, not fat..I can pack that on like a freaking polar bear before the winter) and running too much eats into any muscle gains I've made. I have missed running. I've been fighting with my body's tendency to be small and it's been not as fun as you might think. I've thought long and hard about my goals with regards to just how realistic they are. Yes, I HAVE managed to put on a little muscle but I've also put on a bit of fat around the middle. This is could be due to having been pretty damn stressed about life stuff for the past several months as well as eating a lot in hopes of growing some guns. I DO love being strong. I DO love shocking people and myself with what my body is capable of lifting BUT I do also know that most people do a strength phase for a few months then move to an endurance phase with upped cardio, lower weights and more reps. So, I've decided that's the route I'm going for a while. I'm curious to see how my body responds to this plan. In light of this, when I hit the gym this morning I had my program written down to work shoulders and core. I started at a light weight for 15 reps, moved up a bit higher for 12, then higher for 10 then higher for 8. I didn't rest much unless really needed. It was mean and I enjoyed it. I don't think I'll be able to wash my own hair tomorrow. I was in and out in 45 minutes. Good stuff. I have a gym pass for a local gym that offers classes. I think I might try a few out and see how I enjoy them. I'm not typically a class kind of girl but I do enjoy shaking things up. In a month or two I'll evaluate and if I feel like I am ready, I'll hit another strength phase. I may try to find a power lifting coach to help me. I'm at the point where I could use some professional feedback on form/technique.

As I was falling asleep last night I was thinking about how I'd done more miles than I intended to on Wednesday. I thought about how those miles weren't hard (though my legs are STILL toast today. I whimpered during core moves that required leg movements). I thought about how if I worked up to it, I could totally do another half marathon. Then I said "SHUT YOUR MOUTH BRAIN!!! SHUT IT RIGHT NOW!!" because I don't do distance anymore. My body always seemed to hate it BUT I never tried running distance after I made my dietary shift to cut out all the crap that made my guts angry. As a runner, I always fueled up with bread carbs (peanut butter whole wheat toast etc) and I had no idea at the time that I was intolerant to gluten and all those other fun things I can't eat. So, part of me does wonder how my body would react now with this different way of fueling. Hmmmmm...something else for me to mull over for a while.




I'm a little cranky today. I've noticed I'm very intolerant (less than usual) of people who say they want to make changes but then don't. Poop or get off the toilet is what I like to yell (in my head mostly but sometimes out loud if I'm home). When I grow up, I want to be a trainer. I really truly do BUT I'm going to have a very no BS way with my clients. I might not make much money. Hmmmm...might need to rethink this whole career choice. Is it the no sugar thing kicking in or is it something else? **shrugs** Hubby just skyped me and said that he just ate cake at his office (it's his last day at his current job). For two seconds I wanted to throat punch him out of jealousy...then I was fine. Yeah..it's a cranky pants sort of day. Best if I'm kept away from the general public I think.




Mmmmm bacon. One of my favorite food groups. I love food---I think about it a lot. How I should eat, what I should eat blah blah blah. For almost 2.5 maybe 3 years I tracked my food. Yep, used an online tool to record everything I ate. I decided several weeks ago to take a break and practice eating as my body asks me to. It's been freeing NOT to obsess over every tiny macro I'm ingesting. So far I haven't seen any negative changes so I'm going to keep rolling with that. Truly the other time I did a Whole 30, I was still tracking. You are NOT supposed to do that. I have my starting weight and I'll record my ending weight. Since I'm not really TRYING TO lose pounds per say, I'm not super worried about it. It's mostly just for my own knowledge. I know how to eat properly. I just need to trust that my body will ask me for what it needs. I love to cook and enjoy trying out new recipes. Happy to say that only a few have been failures. Hubby still cringes when we mention the apricot jam pork chop slow cooker dish I tried out 7 years ago. Ick!

Headed out to go drop off donations for the local cat rescue. We are going to play with some kittens while there. Kittens are cute. They'll certainly cheer me up! :) Back later for my Whole 30 day of eats.






No comments:

Post a Comment