Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Past Vs Present

Yesterday "C",who I'm pretty sure is one of my long lost sisters, was chatting with me on Facebook. She said the following to me--
"Yo.  Feedback on your latest blog post...
in the pic you were slim.  Now you are not only slim, but a freaking muscled, strong, dedicated beast!
People use you as inspiration.  Don't compare yourself to when you were skinny.
Your accomplishments far outweigh a few lbs of body fat
You're awesome. Know it."

She's amazing and knew that I needed to hear this for a kick in the pants. ;) She's a fellow running/lifting Mommy who is currently training for her first full marathon which is in a couple of weeks. Rock that shit like I know you can "C"!

I had another friend ask me for help on her journey to getting healthier. I happily said yes and sent her some ideas. Made me feel good that she trusts me enough to ask me for advice.

I started thinking back to the beginning of my getting healthy. Started thinking about WHY I chose to do it in the first place. It wasn't to be fast, it wasn't to be the best...it was about being a good role model for my son and about taking control of my health instead of ending up with heart issues and diabetes which both run in my family. I started looking back at old photos....when I was at my heaviest and unhealthiest.

Here's a comparison then vs now.  In the old pic I was all fat underneath that shirt. I was a size 12 verging on size 14. I'm NOT saying 12 is fat before anyone gets offended. I'm saying that I personally at this size was solid fat under that shirt. I'm 5ft2in and for my build the amount of body fat that I had was VERY unhealthy! Worse yet,  I  could hardly walk up stairs without getting winded and  a 6 mile hike with hilly trails was out of the question.




The 2014 photo was taken yesterday after my leg workout at my gym. I'm a solid size 4 (sometimes a 2, maybe even a 6 in smaller sized brands). The size I wear is neither here nor there, just wanted to include it for comparison sake. Now I rarely ever get winded unless I'm running hard. Now I RUN up those hills with my strong capable legs. I can carry my 70 lb kid upstairs without fear of dropping him. My family is healthier because of the choices I made. I feel good about that!


I've never been called an inspiration in my life up until recently. In the past several months that words has come up in various conversations with friends new and old.

in·spi·ra·tion noun \
: something that makes someone want to do something or that gives someone an idea about what to do or create : a force or influence that inspires someone
: a person, place, experience, etc., that makes someone want to do or create something
: a good idea

I know that isn't a hollow compliment. I think that I should tell you guys, specifically the kind people who have said this word to me, thank you. From the bottom of my heart, thank you. I feel honored that anyone would say that to me or about me. I didn't set out on this path to inspire anyone but if I've managed to help even one person by sharing my story then I feel pretty freaking good. I'm not an expert on anything by any means nor do I pretend to be. I still struggle with trying to figure out what works for me, with how far I should take it, with all the things that I've shared on this blog countless times. I'm just a girl, doing the best I can. Live, love, move and eat! :) That's all I've got for today. 



No comments:

Post a Comment