Saturday, September 20, 2014

Drag N Fly 10k Recap

This morning I ran a VERY hilly 10k out at Contra Loma Regional Park. I didn't have high hopes for myself as I've had knee/shin/calf issues the past few days and last night's sleep was craptastic. Yesterday I threw down some extra carbs and hydrated til my eyeballs were swimming. Woke up this morning around 540, got dressed, ate some yams with almond butter and washed that down with some OJ. We left the house around 620. Got to the race site, picked up my packet and swag then had tons of time to kill. No worries. I always have to use the dang bathroom 27 times before a race. ;) Right before we started I ate 2 of my Honey Stinger chews as I was feeling a little tired already.


Timer went off and we got started.

The first part wasn't too bad THEN we hit the hills. Holy crap. Seriously. I only saw a few people actually able to run the hills the entire time. Pretty sure they were part mountain goat or something. One lady flew by me, I knew she was going to the first female finisher. Around mile 2.5 another lady managed to pass me. I knew she was going to be my target for the entire race. I wasn't sure if she was in my age group and damn it...I wanted to place! I actually enjoyed the competitiveness of the run. This lady and another lady were the 2 that I kept passing/being passed by. The trails were dry with lots of loose rocks. I was scared at first. Pretty sure I've mentioned my fear of downhill running in a previous post. Then something inside me said..."Screw this! You came to run...not be a pansy!" and I decided to haul ass as best I could on the downhills too. Felt good to push myself and to not be scared. I figured if I'm gonna get hurt, might as well make it a good story! LOL!

I felt pretty good the entire run. It got a bit warm out there..think brutal sun with no shade...good times. I made sure to sip from my hydration pack often. I tried a new electrolyte liquid in my water today. I liked it a lot. No taste and I didn't feel any calf cramps or issues the entire time. Ended up having 2 more Honey Stinger chews around mile 6 just to kick that last .64 in the booty. Yeah, this race was 6.64 instead of 6.25. **Shakes fist at the Brazen organizer**



 I was SO happy to see that finish line! Hubby's face was registering total shock when I found him in the crowd. He wasn't expecting to see me for another 10 plus minutes. He said he was really happy that he was sitting where he was so he could capture a great finish photo for me.






My official time was 1:04:25 which is FIVE minutes off my last 10k trail from 2012. Whoooo! I was the 3rd female across and I took first place in my age group. So yeah, I feel pretty good about my efforts today! I met up with the 2 ladies I'd previously mentioned and high fived them. We all congratulated each other on a job well done and a race well raced. Turns out we each placed 1st in our age groups. We all agreed it was awesome to have other ladies at similar paces to help push us. Competitiveness and comradery at it's best right there y'all! Beautiful thing to be a part of!



My kid was ready to hit the snack table and holy crap were there snacks. Sadly, as usual, not a lot of options for me except fruit and potato chips (mmmm salt). Luckily I'd packed a snack box for myself last night.

I chugged my coconut water and ate the smaller of the crispy rice treats. Honestly I wasn't that hungry. I was just thirsty! I grabbed my finisher medal (yay Brazen! I love you for having medals for top placers) and we rolled out. Stopped by Starbucks drive thru for the most glorious cup of dark roast EVER. Yeah, I brought my own coconut milk. I drank every single drop. So good.

Now I'm home, showered (you are all welcome) and happily on the couch in my PJs. I had a nice healthy lunch of leftovers...butternut squash, yam greens, garlic ginger steak bites, bison meatballs with roasted tomatoes and some pineapple. Tonight after the kid goes to bed I'll be cracking open a well earned bottle of vino. I'm thinking about signing up for the next Brazen race which is next month. Hmmmmmm....challenges. I do love them so! ;)

Race Pros and Cons---
Pros--
Awesome shirt
Awesome medals
Well organized
Clearly marked course
Plenty of aid stations
Lots of bathrooms
Great post race snack buffet
Places to take age group photos
Results posted online quickly
Super cool vintage Brazen shirts for only $5!! Sadly I had no cash or I'd have come home with a pile.

Cons--
Snack table was tough for a GF girl but that's typical so I can't complain too much
No finisher's awards ceremony
Medal engraving was $20 instead of free for the people who placed. No thanks.


No comments:

Post a Comment