Saturday, November 8, 2014

Race To The Flagpole Recap

So, today I had my half marathon that I ran to raise funds for JDRF. After being unable to run for the past 2 weeks I was feeling VERY under-trained and ill prepared. I was VERY happy when my friend EB said she was going to sign up to run it too a few days ago.

Got up around 545..15 minutes before my alarm. Came downstairs to eat my usual yams with almond butter and to drink a small glass of OJ. Got dressed, got my gear together and hit the road to pick up EB. We arrived to pick up our bibs with plenty of time to spare.

The race started on time at 8:30am. I had no time in mind, just wanted to finish without having to walk. We started out at a fairly quick pace and settled down into a chat pace soon after. The course was lovely. We went up a nice slow incline then ran past vineyards. I enjoyed chatting with EB and cussing when I saw each mile marker sign. I realized quickly that we were the 2nd and 3rd females of the group. We had to stop once for me to remove a leg strap that was causing chafing. Another lady ran ahead so I insisted we pass her. Stopped around mile 7 for a quick bathroom break and the same lady got ahead again. Also insisted we pass her to keep our places. ;)

Around mile 9 my leg started complaining and I started feeling an unpleasant rub on my big toe of the left foot. Kept going. The last part of the race was mostly unpaved trail. It was a little unpleasant on my knee and I almost rolled my ankle a few times. Mile 10 came along and things went downhill quickly. Every time my right leg came down I got hit with shooting pains up past the knee. I had to slow way down.

My energy really started flagging too. I had Honey Stinger chews but they didn't really help. Around mile 11 the lady who was behind us got ahead again and I didn't have anything left to pass her. I kept telling EB to go get her so she could finish 2nd. She's a good friend and refused to leave me.

I was cussing, whimpering and yelled out a time or two when the pain hit me hard. I would NOT walk a bit of the race. That's not what I set out to do. I limp ran across the finish line with a time of 1:58:46. Honestly that was WAY better than I'd anticipated. It's a good six minutes slower than my PR but still not bad for being hurt! She was 3rd of the women and I was 4th. She got 1st in her age and I got 2nd in mine. No medals but we have the glory of knowing.

I'm wiped out, gimped up (don't even ask about the Texas sized blister on my big toe) but happy that I completed what I set out to complete. I raised $324.50 for Team Blake's Buddies due to the amazing generosity of my friends. :) Couldn't ask for anything more. Thanks friends for helping me out and for supporting me!

All in all it was a decent race. I'll run the shorter distance next year.

Pros--
Lovely course
Finishers medals for all runners
Coffee at the finish but sadly it was all gone
Nice volunteers
Plenty of aid stations with water
Decent snacks with organic raisins, fresh fruit and such

Cons--
Course marking was a bit spotty
No age winner awards





No comments:

Post a Comment