Sunday, March 20, 2016

Unplugging


I've been battling a pretty good case of the blues the past couple of months. Nothing I can put my finger on. Just feeling generally stressed, anxious and not happy. I blogged about it but only shared it with a few friends. Link is here if you want to know where my head was at...it's pretty negative so, you've been warned....
http://mommymightymouse.blogspot.com/2016/03/the-art-of-letting-go.html



Made the decision to do something different for a while. I deactivated my facebook and my Instagram accounts last week. I needed some time unplugged. Wanted to focus on what makes ME happy, MY successes and real life friendships. My guys left for NC on Wednesday early and will be back on Tuesday night. I wasn't sure how I was going to handle being alone but so far, it's been REALLY good for me.



I've made beautiful meals for myself, complete with flowers!



I have spent time nurturing local friendships and it's been lovely. I met my friend L for lunch then went to my fave spice shop afterwards. I took a sunny walk with my friend J then had spicy hot chai in a lovely cafĂ©. I went out for dinner and rowdy fun with my friend A (ohhhh my head). Feels good opening up to people who actively seek out my friendship. 

I spent an entire day alone and I survived. I more than survived actually. I THRIVED! I went to Nisqually Wildlife Refuge and spent hours strolling in the sunshine. I had a song in my heart and it showed. Have you ever been SO overwhelmed with joy and gratitude that your eyes well up for no reason? Yeah, happened to me like 4 times that day. After the refuge trip I took myself out for lunch then coffee and a treat! I need to enjoy my own company more often I think.














As far as training goes, I've relaxed my "I HAVE to do xyz today" approach. I have been waking up and asking myself "what do I FEEL like doing today to keep my body active and happy?" So far, that's working well. Yesterday I ran 10.3 miles...pain free. WHOOT! Feeling really positive about the half marathon in May! I think I can do it without getting hurt this time! YAY! I took a route I'd mapped out for myself online and it was gorgeous. Ran past the river then around the lake. I had a big smile on my face for most of the run!



Still trying to decide if I love crossfit or not. I don't care about "fitting in" anymore. I'm going to show up, be happy and do my best to grow as an athlete. I don't know if my not feeling the love is about my current state of mind or if it's more than that....I think the expectations I had about feeling like I was part of the community were unrealistic. I may look into bootcamp style classes or personal training (if I suddenly find a money tree blooming with $100 bills)  but I think I want to try giving crossfit a fair shake for at least the next month or two.

So, that's where I'm at and what I've been doing. Thanks to my friends who've texted and emailed to check on me. I'm not locked inside my house with 87 cats whom I've dressed in costumes. I'm alive, happy and healthier than I've been in a long time.




No comments:

Post a Comment